Heights Finance Corporation is a leading consumer finance organization located in the Midwest with over 100 branches in six states. We are currently seeking a motivated dependable leader, who is detailed and accurate to join our team in the position of Controller in the Peoria, IL Home Office location.
Heights Finance team members enjoy working in a growth-oriented company within an exciting industry, in a diverse work environment that offers great advancement opportunities, competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
The primary responsibilities of the Controller is maintaining the accuracy of the Company's financial records in accordance with GAAP; the preparation of financial statement and other related reports; assisting the corporate tax department in preparing accurate tax provisions and returns; and coordinating and ensuring accurate regulatory reporting in accordance with current regulations.
Some of the essential responsibilities are as follows:
- Optimize team talents by providing leadership and coaching to individuals by:
- Establishing clear goals that tie to the vision and mission of the business.
- Determine staffing needs; Recruit, hire and onboard talent.
- Document and conduct annual performance review process duties on time.
- Conduct ongoing one on one coaching sessions.
- Managing employee performance issues in a timely manner and adhering to employment policies.
- Participate in leadership training opportunities and apply learnings
- Coordinates the Company's overall accounting functions by:
- Monitoring the Company's general ledger and directing adjustments, including the appropriate maintenance of the Company's subsidiary ledgers.
- Managing the Company's financial systems and coordination with related reporting to the general ledger. Investigate long-term financial system options for implementation by the Company.
- Monitoring the preparation and reporting of all subsidiary general ledgers and consolidation with the Company, including all separate financial reports of Companying entities. Understand and monitor the financial accounting of all divisions and subsidiaries of the Company, including Heights Holding Company, Heights Finance Funding Co, and Heights Reinsurance Company.
- Monitoring the Company's new and existing fixed and other financial assets, including maintenance and evaluation of appropriate fair value analyses and valuations, where applicable.
- Coordinate and maintain all of the Company's accounting policies and ensure their continued implementation.
- Investigates and implements new and existing accounting pronouncements and standards.
- Monitor changes to US GAAP and applicability to the Company and its divisions and subsidiaries
- Develop and implement processes to adopt new standards as applicable and ensure compliance with existing US GAAP
- Assist with implementation and adoption of accounting standards and coordinate efforts with the CFO
- Expected to be the resident GAAP expert for the Company.
- Coordination of deliverables for the Company's external audits and exams by:
- Overseeing the preparation of work papers
- Reviewing work papers for accuracy and consistency
- Preparing and overseeing the preparation of financial statements and footnote disclosures, as well as any additional information requested by the Holding Company and/or external auditors
- Managing the internal controls documentation as necessary
- Manages the preparation of the quarterly Federal Reserve reports, and other regulatory reports as required by:
- Overseeing the preparation of the regulatory reporting work papers in accordance reporting instructions
- Reviewing the regulatory reporting work papers for accuracy and compliance with reporting standards
- Reviewing the regulatory reports for accuracy and compliance as well as ensuring deadlines are met
- Manages and reviews the preparation of internal and external financial statements by:
- Preparing and delegating the preparation of internal and external financial reports as required (monthly, quarterly, annually) in addition to required footnote disclosure information
- Coordinating the preparation of Board reports on a monthly basis
- Analyzing periodic financial results
- Manages all functions related to ancillary products (credit insurance and auto club) including:
- Managing the support to branch team members when presenting ancillary products, assisting customers with claims, and problem resolution
- Maintaining relationships with ancillary product vendors
- Overseeing the maintenance of documentation and contracts for ancillary products
- Overseeing the licensing process for team members
- Participating as a subject matter expert on project teams involving ancillary products
- Other accounting and financial matters including:
- Overseeing the preparation of, and reviewing manual tax items, tax return schedules and other information, as requested by the MCFC tax department
- Assisting in the development of the annual budget and quarterly forecasts, including, but not limited to, the calculation of forecasted ALLL and provision, as well as other items as necessary
- Participating in Controller meetings with peers from throughout MCFC
- Participating in management meetings and providing insight into financial results versus the business plan
- Managing the execution of accounting aspects of acquisitions and subsequent integration, as needed